Friday, January 28, 2022

Waking up the lichens

I've been looking at lichens again. I had put some of the licheny twigs that I collected two weeks ago in a vase and I've been spraying them every two days to keep them growing.

Today, I spread them out and looked at them to see how they are coping with an indoor, heated environment. They were bone-hard and dry; it's been three days since they were watered, and the heat is on. When I sprayed each section, it would immediately start moving. Leafy lichens unrolled, spread out, sometimes jerkily. The thin, thready lichens stretched, as if they were waking from a long sleep.

Usnea sp., stretching out. Lichens of this genus have an elastic central cord; pull them and they stretch.

These ones, three days dry, were hard. Wet, they were soft and floppy.

Reindeer lichen in moss. I had left this one outside in my garden; it's wet and cold. And very happy.

And I found another beastie, where I least expected it. Photos tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Otra vez he estado mirando los líquenes. Puse algunas de las ramitas con liquen que junté hace dos semanas en un vaso, y las he estado regando cada dos dias para mantenerlos líquenes en buen estado.

Hoy, las saqué para mirar los líquenes más de cerca, para ver como andan en un ambiente interior, con calefacción. Estaban duros como huesos, y secos; ya hacía tres dias que no las había regado. Cuando mojé cada sección, empezaba a moverse de inmediato. Los líquenes foliosos se desenrollaban, se extendían, a veces en saltitos. Los líquenes en arbusto, delgados, se estiraban como si se despertaran de un largo sueño.

Fotos:

  1. Un liquen del género Usnea, estirándose. Los líquenes Usnea tienen un cordón central elástico; si le das un jalón, rebota.
  2. Estos, los líquenes foliosos, estaban duros hasta que los mojé; entonces se volvieron suaves y flojos.
  3. Liquen de los renos, Cladina sp. en musgo. Estos los había dejado afuera en mi jardín; estaban empapados y frios. Y muy contentos, parece.
Y encontré otro animalito, donde menos lo esperaba. Mañana subo las fotos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger