Friday, January 28, 2022

Drinking larva

I thought I had examined them thoroughly. The lichens on twigs that I made into an arrangement in a vase. Nothing there but wood and lichen, or so I thought.

Looking at them again yesterday, I saw movement. Something running, something fast and curvy. I took many photos of the place where it had just been.

Caught it! Blurry, but it's there. Long, prickly beastie.

I gave up and went back to the planned operation; I sprayed the lichen down with de-chlorinated water. And the little runner stopped to take a drink. I even managed to get him under the microscope before he ran away again.

Square head, short antennae, 6 legs on the first segments. The round ball is a droplet of water.

Nicely patterned tail segments, dragged along; no legs here.

And, drink finished, he's off and running again. I count 12 body segments, besides the head.

I looked at a zillion larvae on BugGuide, and I think he's probably a rove beetle youngster. I've sent photos in to BugGuide; they will know.

UPDATE: BugGuide has moved the photos to Snakefly larvae.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Creí que los había examinado bien; los líquenes en las ramitas de abeto de Douglas que había arreglado en un vaso. No había nada más que la madera y las hojas de liquen, pensaba.

Examinándolos otra vez ayer, vi algo que se movía. Algo que corría, algo con curvas sinuosas, y que tenía mucha prisa. Saqué muchas fotos del lugar donde había estado un instante previo.

Primera foto: por fin lo capturé. Una foto borrosa, pero ahí está. Largo y con espinas.

Me di por vencida y regresé al plan anterior, de ver como respondía el liquen al agua. Rocié la ramita con agua declorada. Y el bichito correlón se detuvo para beber. Hasta tuve tiempo de colocarlo bajo el microscopio antes de que se pusiera a correr otra vez.

Segunda foto: La cabeza es grande y algo cuadrada; tiene 6 patas en los primeros segmentos. La bola redonda es una gota de agua.

Tercera foto: diseño de los segmentos de la cola. Pesada y larga, pero sin patas; la arrastra tras si.

Cuarta foto: ya terminó de beber, y empieza otra vez a correr. Cuento 12 segmentos del cuerpo, la cabeza aparte.

Miré gran número de fotos en BugGuide, y creo que este probablemente sea la larva de un estafilínido. Les envié unas fotos a los expertos en BugGuide; ellos podrán identificarla con más certeza.

Y ahora, BugGuide ha puesto las fotos en la categoría de los rafidiópteros.

1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger