Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Wet cat tails

Cat-tail moss:

On a broken branch. And on most trees in the background. Eve River.

This moss is the most common tree blanket in our rainforests. A confusing moss; it takes different forms depending on its location, and is also known, therefore, as variable moss, mouse-tail moss, or tree moss (although it also grows on rocks.) Even the Latin name varies; Isothecium myosuroides, I. stoloniferum, I spiculiferum, among others. Doesn't matter: if it's dangling from every tree in a forest and encircling most of the trunks, it's the cat-tail.

And in keeping with the theme, all through this small forest area, the cat's tongue fungi nestle in the duff. Photos tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Musgo "cola de gato", en una rama rota en el bosque a la orilla del río Eve. Y en casi todos los árboles alrededor.

Este musgo es el musgo más común en los bosques pluviales aquí. Toma diferentes formas, según el lugar donde crece, y por lo tanto, lleva varios nombres: el musgo cola de gato, musgo variable, rabo de ratón, musgo de árbol (aunque también crece en las rocas.) Aún el nombre científico está en duda, con algunos que lo llaman Isothecium myosuroides, mientras que otros le dan el nombre de I. stoloniferum, o I. spiculiferum, entre otros. No importa: si se cuelga de todas las ramas en el bosque, y si cobija la mayor parte de los troncos, se puede confiar que es cola de gato.

Y ya que hablamos de gatos, también en este bosquecito por todas partes crece el hongo "lengua de gato". Mañana habrá fotos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger