Monday, September 14, 2020

Gumweed beasties

In the meadow at Oyster Bay, I stopped to look at gumweed. And the critters it harbours.

Big bee, little fly. Gumweed, Grindelia sp.

And a tiny jumping spider, keeping her eye on the big round eye above.

Isn't she cute?

Unidentified moth

I've spent hours trying to find this moth. It looks so familiar, but I can't remember where I've seen it before. It looks sort of like a hawk moth.

*UPDATE: It's a woodland skipper, a butterfly. Thanks, Sara!

And not on the gumweed; on the path nearby:

Grasshopper, watching me closely. One step more, and he was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
En la pradera de Oyster Bay, me detuve a mirar las flores de Grindelia (hierba goma) y los animalitos que las frecuentan.

Una abeja, y una mosca. Una araña saltarín (¡Tan curiosa; daba vueltas para siempre estar mirando ese ojo grande!) y una mariposa nocturna que no pude identificar. Muy activa; botaba de flor en flor y por fin la perdí.

Y un saltamontes en el camino entre las flores.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps a woodland skipper? https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/58162490

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's it, raggedy wings and all. Thanks!

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger