Sunday, August 30, 2020

Up Cedar Creek Road

 I found a road going up in the hills behind the cliff faces I've been looking at.

Cedar Creek road.

The road is cut through deep forest, gravel, in places only one car width wide. In spots, the sun reaches the road, but mostly it's in shadow. In a wider spot, sun bleached a broken stump in the rubble on the shoulder.

Bleached turkey tail fungus.

Where the sunlight is only reflected from the bare road, the undergrowth is deep green.

Another stump. Salal and huckleberries, ripe and sweet. The salal dyed my fingers purple.

Next: a variety of lichens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Encontré un camino que sube atrás de los peñascos que he estado explorando. Está cortado por medio de bosque cerrado; el camino es de grava, angosto, a veces apenas permitiendo el paso de un coche a la vez, en sombra por la mayor parte.

En un espacio más abierto, dejaron los restos de este arbolito en pleno sol entre los escombros al lado del camino. El tronco, y el hongo "cola de guajolote" quedaron blanqueados.

Donde el sol apenas llega reflejado del camino, la vegetación es de un verde fuerte. Aquí salal (Gaultheria shallon) y huckleberry (Vaccinium parvifolium) producen sus frutillas, algunas ya maduras y dulces. El salal me pintó los dedos de un color morado.

Mañana: líquenes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger