Monday, August 31, 2020

Devil's matchstick

 In the spring of 2017, I found a tiny clump of Devil's matchstick lichen on a cliff facing Upper Campbell Lake.

Pilophorus acicularis

I searched the surrounding cliffs and found only this one small clump. This week, on an outcropping of rock in the hills behind this area, I found more. Many, many more:

So many matchsticks; like hair on the rocks.

Almost every exposed surface of this outcrop was covered in a forest of these black-tipped lichens.

Zooming in on the photo above.

Depending on the light, I think, sometimes the matchheads look black, sometimes a deep blue.

Another rock, another crop of matchsticks.

I must go back, with a lens more suited for close-ups. These rocks were full of interesting tinies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hace tres años, en la primavera encontré unos pocos líquenes con cabezas negras en las rocas que miran hacia el lago Upper Campbell.  Busqué en todas las piedras alrededor, pero solamente encontré este brote. Los pude identificar como el liquen "fósforo del diablo", Pilophorus acicularis.

Esta semana, en un afloramiento rocoso en los bosque arriba de los peñascos, hallé un montón. Cada cara de piedra estaba cubierta de miles de estos pequeños líquenes.

Tendré que regresar al sitio con una lente apropriada para miniaturas. ¡Estas rocas están llenas de interés.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger