Sunday, May 24, 2020

White mushrooms and a long walk

Above the rocks at Brown's Bay, a road leads up the hill to a few cabins and beyond that, tenting sites. And along that road, a trail leads off into the woods. A steep slope, all brown duff, ferns, and tall, straight trees. And in the distance, large, white mushrooms beckoned me.

On fallen alder trunk. Looks to me like Angel Wings, Pleurotus porrigens, but it's the wrong time of year, so I'm probably wrong.

This one was on an upright stump.

And these on another.

And for variety, a turkey tail.

I mentioned the other day that I walked too far. This is how it happened: first, I can't resist a trail I haven't explored, so coming back from the rocks, I turned aside to climb towards the campsites. Did I say the hillside was steep? All the roads and paths were steep; the land climbs abruptly from the shore beneath.

So I climbed to the beginning of the trail, old legs complaining as I went, but the trail was so enticing that I had to continue climbing. At the last stump (where I found the slug), I cut downhill to a return trail, and headed back to the car.

It was a long way: because of the virus, the road I have driven on before is barricaded, and I had walked from the first cabins. And I made small side runs, like a dog does, exploring this side of the road, that bit of ditch, that patch of flowers, the far side of that stump ...

As I approached the car, I shut down the camera and discovered that the lens cap had fallen off. Can't have that; lenses are too easily scratched. So I retraced my steps; along the main road, up the cabin and campsite road, down the trail, circling every spot I'd stopped along the way. No lens cap.

Over four bridges, up and down too many steep hills. I had just about lost hope when I got to the slug. It was still there. So was the lens cap, in the duff beside it.

On the way back, I went in a straight line, as the crow flies. But then, I still wandered down to the docks to look for swallow nests and anemones. At least that was on the flat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subiendo el cerro desde las rocas en Brown's Bay, un camino lleva a unas cabañas, y más adelante a sitios donde se puede instalar tiendas de campaña. Y cerca del final de ese camino, un senderito entra al bosque. Un bosque oscuro, muy inclinado, cubierto de humus y helechos, con troncos rectos, sin ramas en las partes inferiores. Y en la distancia, como lamparitas, hongos grandes y blancos me llamaban.

Fotos: hongos en un tronco caído y en dos troncos cortados. Se parecen al hongo que se llama Alas de ángel, pero no es la temporada. Y una "cola de gallo" en otro tronco caído, ya bien podrido.

El otro día mencioné que había caminado demasiado. Así fue como pasó. En primer lugar, no puedo resistir un camino que no he explorado, y regresando de las rocas, tuve que desviarme para subir hacia los sitios para acampar. ¿Dije que el camino era inclinado? Si. Muy empinado, todos los caminos y senderitos. El terreno aquí corre hacia las montañas.

Subí hasta donde empezó el sendero en el bosque: mis rodillas viejas se quejaban, pero el bosque era tan tentador que tuve que continuar. Cuando llegué al último tronco, donde encontré la babosa, corté cerro abajo para encontrar un camino de regreso.

Para donde había estacionado era un largo camino, porque el paso normal está cerrado por el virus; no se puede acampar, y no dejan entrar coches. Y además, no camino en linea recta; siempre me desvío para ver algo más; el otro lado del camino, esa zanja con agua, aquellas flores, el lado opuesto de ese tronco ...

Llegando al coche por fin, apagué la cámara, y descubrí que se me había caído la tapa de la lente. Eso no se puede permitir: se dañan las lentes tan facilmente. Así que volví sobre mis pasos, por el camino principal, subiendo el camino de las cabañas y los campamentos, por el sendero en el bosque, dando vueltas mirando cada sitio donde me había detenido antes. No encontré nada.

Cuatro puentes, demasiados cerros inclinados, arriba y abajo. Casi había perdido la esperanza cuando llegué al último tronco, donde había visto la babosa. Todavía estaba allí. Y también estaba la tapa, entre las hierbas a su lado.

Camino de regreso, lo hice en linea recta, como vuela el cuervo. Pero todavía se me ocurrió ir al muelle a buscar anémonas de mar y nidos de golondrinas. Pero por lo menos allí no hay subidas ni bajadas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger