Saturday, May 23, 2020

A couple of critters

Moving on from the rocks ...

In the woods, I found a green slug.

Pacific Banana slug, Ariolimax columbianus. The cones are hemlock.

Most of the slugs I see are either the black slugs, Chocolate Arion, or these Banana slugs. The Bananas are extremely variable; they can be yellow or black or green or coffee or coffee cream, mottled or patchy. They all have the central keel down the back.

I looked up the slugs on E-Fauna, just to refresh my memory: there are 26 species listed in BC; here on the island they are mostly Bananas or Chocolates. But I didn't know this: there are several species of Jumping slugs. Two of them can be found in the forests of Vancouver Island. I'll be looking for them now, And wondering about that jumping.

This next critter is easy to identify:

Harbour seal, trapped on land. On the platform above the rocks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regresando de las rocas ...

En el bosque encontré una babosa verde. Es una de las babosas plátano, (Ariolimax columbianus). Estas babosas son muy variables. Pueden ser amarillas, negras, cafés, color crema, verdes como esta, con parches de amarillo y negro, con puntitos o rayas de varios colores. Algunas son muy grandes.

La otra babosa que veo seguido por aquí es la babosa chocolate, que es de un negro absoluto. Pero miré la lista que tiene E-Fauna; ahí hay 26 especies de babosa en la provincia. Esto no lo sabía; hay varias babosas que se llaman saltarinas. Dos se pueden encontrar en los bosques de la isla. Voy a mantener los ojos abiertos; ojalá encuentre una. Pero no me imagino como una babosa puede saltar.

También había otro animal, este en la plataforma arriba de las rocas. Una foca común, hecha en madera, así que no le importa estar fuera del agua.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger