Sunday, May 24, 2020

Underwater bouquet

Off the docks at Brown's Bay the other day, the wind was brisk and the water surface choppy, but in a few sheltered spots I could see the communities living on the underside of the floats.

Giant plumose anemone, Metridium farcimen.
The floats are blue plastic. And we're lookiing through the reflections of the structures overhead.

Anemones, seaweeds, worms, and jellies. Click to view full size.

And here's the same photo, annotated. The gunk may be sponges.  But I missed a limpet. Do you see it?

Kelp, anemones, mussels, limpets, and a glowing red worm. The greenish spikes are on sea urchins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

En el muelle en Brown's Bay el otro dia, había viento haciendo olas, pero en algunos lugares se podía vislumbrar las comunidades que viven en la parte inferior de los flotadores. (Que son de un plástico azul.)

Primero: una anémona "emplumada gigante".

La segunda foto tiene toda una comunidad. En la siguiente, los habitantes tienen nombres. Hay anémonas, lombrices "plumero" (son rojos), otros lombrices en tubos, un par de medusas, varias especies de alga marina, y una masa que probablemente consiste en diátomos o si no, de esponjas. Y se me olvidó una lapa. ¿La ves?

En la última foto, aparte de todo lo anterior, hay un grupo de erizos de mar; son los que tienen las espinas verdes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger