Monday, September 09, 2019

Pale phantoms

And suddenly, just this week, there are ghosts everywhere in the forests, flitting from one shadow to the next.

Phantom Hemlock Looper Moth, Nepytia phantasmaria, ♂*

White phantoms with embroidered cloaks and yellow hats. We saw them in Gold River, at Elk Falls, in the small forest at Oyster Bay, always in the shade, or in the semi-dusk of the early evening.

Habitat
coniferous forests; adults are nocturnal and come to light
(BugGuide)

They're night flyers, but we saw them during the day; dark days, overcast and grey; and in the deep shade under the Douglas firs.

At Oyster Bay, 8:05 PM, just after sunset.

They will lay their eggs on the underside of evergreen needles; the larvae will emerge in the spring to eat those needles.

They're a "looper" moth; the larvae will be inchworms.

*You can tell these are males: if you look closely, you can see that the antennae are feathered.

1 comment:

  1. I am reminded of the famous Peppered Moths.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger