Sunday, September 08, 2019

Miniature beauties

On the path around the beaver pond, I came across these tiny bright specks in the grass.

Unidentfied. Five split petals, palest mauve with stripes and a yellow butterfly shape beckoning pollinators; densely-packed leaves on the flowering stem. So tiny, I could not see their shape; the camera serves as a magnifying lens.

The plants were about a foot tall; each leafy stalk had a few flowers blooming near the tip.

Sharp-pointed leaves,palmate, opposite, alternating directions.

And I give up: I've spent several hours trying to identify them, and failing. Do you recognize them?

Update: That was quick; a naturalist in Crete gave me a genus, and I found them here: it's Eyebright, Euphrasia stricta. (Probably)

(Why I love blogging!)

3 comments:

  1. No, but they kind of have a snapdragon look in the picture. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Euphrasia nemerosa or something related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! I think it's Euphrasia stricta.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger