Saturday, September 07, 2019

Orange huntress

I stopped by the old beaver pond last week, and hiked around to the far side. The sun was bright, almost blinding, and over the green wetland, meadowhawks hunted, creating a display of flashing lights as they wheeled.

The camera was too slow for them, but the meadowhawks show up as white specks on the bright green.

Plants here are hardhack, water lilies, a lot of horsetails, and sedges.

One orange meadowhawk stopped for a breather beside my path. Nice of her!

She's an autumn meadowhawk, aka yellow-legged meadowhawk, Sympetrum vicinum. The males are a darker red; females are pale.

Notice the two-tone eyes!

In mature males, the face, eyes, thorax and abdomen are shades of red to reddish brown; legs are yellow to reddish-brown. In females the face is light brown with brown and green eyes. The thorax is yellow to grey, the legs yellowish, and the abdomen brown. ... The pterostigma (coloured, thickened cell on the leading edge of each wing membrane near the tip), is reddish-brown. (South Coast Conservation Program [BC])

2 comments:

  1. We don't get the larger dragonflies at the cabin, but lots of blue darners and damsel flies. The small ones often get caught by the sundews. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought the sundews were big enough to catch a darner! Amazing!

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger