Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The lodge in summer

The beaver lodge, that is.

Last March, I posted a photo of a beaver lodge I'd found near Echo Lake. I passed that way again today, and stopped to see how the family is doing. They've been working hard; the lodge is higher and wider and has new landscaping.

The lodge in its mini-lake. The pale yellowish flat area in back is all waterlilies.

Another view, from closer in. They've even got window boxes with plants!

For comparison: the lodge as it was 4 months ago.

Pond lily leaves and Floating-leaved pondweed.

Beavers are well-known for eating trees, both the wood and the juicy inner bark. But they vary their diet according to the season. In winter, it's trees. In the spring, they turn to newly-sprouting shrubs, and by summer, they're eating mainly soft vegetation. These pond lilies and the pondweed are a major part of their summer menu.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:19 am

    It is so good to see these photos. We don't get to see beavers or their lodges here. Such hard-working creatures they are.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger