Sunday, November 11, 2018

Elusive

A flock of tiny birds was browsing in the evergreens at Oyster Bay. Really tiny; they looked like large, fast moths. They bounced from twig to twig, sometimes hanging upside-down, sometimes perching on the trunk, but never for more than a couple of seconds. Stop, peck at twig, flit to another, peck, flit, flit, flit. Neither my eyes nor the camera could focus that fast, but I could see flashes of yellow on back and head.

I took about a hundred photos. Two sort of turned out.

A golden-crowned kinglet, I think. 

Hanging upside-down

In the deciduous shrubs and around the logs on the shore, a flock of juncos were feeding. Easier to identify, but much more cautious; any attempt to approach on my part, and they were off.

Alder branches, mini-cones, and junco against the sky.

A Skywatch post.

1 comment:

  1. Last week there was a huge ruckus outside as a murder of crows flew from one bare tree to another, staying put for a sort while and the taking wing in mass. It was a little spooky in the Alfred Hitchcock kind of way. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger