Friday, November 09, 2018

Captured cocoons

A couple of days ago, I posted a photo of a cocoon seen at Oyster Bay. I went out there again yesterday, with a long stick and a collecting jar. And found two.

They both ripped as I unglued them from the eaves where they had planned to shelter for the winter, one more than the other. But the inner pupae were entire. And they're strange.

Cocoon # 1. The wrapping is badly torn. But what are those two "wings"?

Cocoon # 2. Just a small fraying of the side of the cocoon.

The fabric of the cocoon is very thin; a few layers of loosely-woven threads. Many of them look like wooly-bear caterpillar spines. Some, looking closely, are lined with barbs.

Black, tan, whitish fibers. The green and red are artifacts of the camera and flash.

The two cocoons are now housed in a ventilated container, snug in a flowerpot in a protected area of the carport. I'll keep an eye on them, hoping to see what emerges.

Meanwhile, I'll send these photos in to BugGuide.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger