Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Red and black and shiny eyes.

A pair of red and black jumping spiders were patrolling the wall outside my window in the late afternoon. Like all jumpers, they were very active, and it was difficult to get near without trampling my flower bed.

Phidippus sp., probably P. johnsoni, possibly female. A large spider, almost 1 cm. long

This one, slightly smaller, may be a male.

If these are Phidippus johnsoni, the female will have a black stripe down her back, while the male's back is almost entirely red.

Double selfie in PJ's headlight eyes.

The fangs have a greenish sheen; I tried to get a decent look at them, but neither of the two wanted to cooperate. I know where to look for them now, so I'll try again another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger