Tuesday, July 23, 2024

On Big Pond

Well, I'm back. With my granddaughter, I've been hiking and museuming and poking around docks and birding and following winding roads going we knew not where. Brown's Bay, Oyster Bay, Paradise Meadows, Mount Washington, and more. And then three days of down time; I'm not quite as young as I used to be. (Aren't we all?)

I have stacks of photos to process. For now, here's the Big Pond in Paradise Meadows, with mallards.

Buckbeans, water lilies, and duck tracks.

Buckbeans, Mentyanthes trifoliata, (aka bogbeans) grow in shallow water. In Paradise Meadows they circle the ponds and line the creeks. We sat on a bench overlooking the largest pond, watching dragonflies wheeling over the buckbean borders. Hunting, perhaps, or just the mating dances?

Mallard female and shallow water.

And a manky mallard, a hybrid with a long, dark grey neck.

Big Pond.

Tomorrow; scruffy jays, I think,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hace una semana me despedí; ahora estoy de vuelta. Con mi nieta, hemos estado siguiendo senderos en varias partes, visitando un museo, mirando criaturas debajo de muelles, buscando pájaros (ella con su cámara con una lente enorme), y perdiéndonos en caminos que no sabíamos a donde nos llevaban ... En Brown's Bay, Oyster Bay, el monte Washington y Paradise Meadows (Praderas de Paraíso, a 1000 m. de altura) y más. Y luego tomé tres dias para recuperarme; los años pesan.

Y ahora tengo toneladas de fotos para escoger y procesar. Aquí son las primeras; fotos de la Laguna Grande en las Praderas de Paraíso, con sus patos.
  1. La laguna, con tréboles de agua, Menyanthes trifoliata, lirios acuáticos y un pato con su sendero marcado en el agua. Los tréboles de agua crecen en agua de poca profundidad; en estas praderas rodean todas las lagunas y siguen los riachuelos. Nos sentamos en un banco mirando las libélulas que volaban sobre y entre los tréboles. Cazando, puede ser, o tal vez haciendo sus danzas nupciales.
  2. Un ánade real hembra.
  3. El segundo pájaro es un ánade híbrido, muy común en esta familia de pájaros. Este tiene un cuello largo y gris.
  4. La Laguna Grande.
Para mañana, creo, tendré fotos de arrendajos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger