Thursday, June 20, 2024

It behaves nicely, it's angelic.

 Another volunteer flowering plant grows beside the driveway. By the shape of the flower heads (umbels, really) I figured it was another member of the carrot family, the Apiaceae. Like my parsley, or the Queen Anne's Lace and cow parsnips that grow in any waste space at this time of year, but also like the horrible,  poisonous water hemlock, so I was cautious when I cut a flower umbel to examine the tiny flowers. Even touching the water hemlock, or sometimes the cow parsnip, can cause skin damage. But this one was fine; I cut leaves and turned them every which way, trying to identify the species, and my hands are ok.

Angelica sp.

My guide book mentions three species of Angelica, a couple only distinguishable by the bends in their leaf stalks. I'm still not sure of this one.

And the flowers, like all these carroty ones, are tiny, tiny, tiny. I looked at a couple under the microscope:

5 petals, like the parsley flowers. And that twinned centre. The background is one of the leaves.

Google image search was a great help with this one. And with a couple more, that I'm saving for tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otra planta voluntaria está floreciendo al lado de mi camino de entrada. Por la forma de su capítulo floral (la umbela), calculé que iba a ser otra de la famila de las zanahorias, las apiáceas. Como mi perejil, o como la zanahoria silvestre (Daucus carota) y la pastinaca de vaca (Heracleumm lanatum) que crecen en cada espacio libre en esta temporada del año. Pero también como el horrible y venenosa Cicuta douglasii, y por eso tuve cuidado al cortar una umbela para mirar las florecitas individuales. Hasta con tocar la Cicuta douglasii, o para ciertas personas, también la pastinaca de vaca, se puede traumatizar la piel. Pero esta planta resultó ser buena; corté una ramita y le di muchas vueltas, tratando de identificar la especie, y mis manos siguen sin daño.

Foto: Angelica sp.

Mi libro guía menciona tres especies de Angelica locales, unas se distinguen solamente por las dobleces en los tallos de las hojas. Por fin, no pude saber cual de las tres tengo en mano.

Y las flores, como todas las de los apiáceas, son miniaturas. Examiné unas bajo el microscopio:

Foto: la flor de Angelica. Tiene  pétalos y el centro doble, como el del perejil.

La búsqueda de imágenes de Google me ayudó con estas. Y con otras, que dejo para mañana.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger