Thursday, June 20, 2024

Took me a while

 A dozen or more years ago, I planted some parsley in a clay pot and put it in a corner of my garden. A garnish for my meals, one I usually forget. The parsley, forgotten, grew and thrived. It re-seeded itself, year after year. When I moved here to Campbell River, going on 9 years ago, I brought the pot with me. It likes it here. The pot broke, as they do after repeated cycles of freezing and thawing, and the parsley escaped. Last year, it grew a rambunctious, waist-high forest behind my compost bin.

I haven't been paying it much attention. Sometimes I tell myself that I should be freezing some for winter seasoning, but I never really get around to it. Last year, I chased bees on the umbels one day. That's about it. Not until a couple of days ago did I actually look at those flowers.

They're tiny; that might count for an excuse.

Unopened parsley buds.

The buds are just buds. But then they start to open, and look at them!

Beginning to sprout stamens and petals.

Each little bud is a twosome; they look like pairs of tiny, traditional African drums, each one topped by a glossy lemon custard cap, and extending a snail siphon. (If that sounds like a mixed metaphor, blame the buds.)

And some open flowers: 5 white petals, 5 long stamens. And spider webs.

I cut one flower umbel and looked at it under the microscope:

One individual flower.

The centre of the flower keeps that twinned theme.

I see that I'll have to keep a close eye on these as they go about making seeds. Will they be twins?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hace una docena de años, sembré un poco de perejil en una maceta de barro, y lo coloqué en un rincón de mi jardín. Algo para sazonar la cena, algo que casi siempre se me olvida. Y la planta, olvidada, creció y prosperaba. Esparcía sus semillas, año tras año; cada primavera, se llenaba la maceta de nuevo. Cuando me mudé a Campbell River, ya hace casi nueve años, traje la maceta con todo y perejil. Le gusta su nuevo hogar, La maceta se rompió, como es de esperar después de tanto congelar y descongelar, y el perejil se escapó. El año pasado, formó un bosquecito entusiasta que me llegaba a la cintura, atrás de mi depósito de compost.

No le he puesto mucha atención. Crece feliz sin que yo haga nada. A veces pienso que debo estar congelando algunas hojas para usarlas en el invierno, pero me distraigo y se me olvida. El año pasado observaba las abejas que buscaban polen en las umbelas. Nada más. Fue apenas hace un par de dias que se me ocurrió mirar las florecitas.

Bueno, son muy, muy pequeñitas. Eso puede que me sirva de excusa.

Fotos:
  1. Botones de perejil, sin abrir. Parecen botones "normales".
  2. Pero se empiezan a abrir, ¡míralas! Cada botoncito es una pareja; parecen dos tamborcitos tradicionales Africanos. Con una tapa de amarillo brillante; parece flan de mango. Y levanta un sifón de caracol marino. (Si parece que estoy mezclando metáforos, la culpa la llevan esas flores.)
  3. Unas flores abiertas. Tienen 5 pétalos, y 5 estambres.
  4. Corté una umbela y la miré bajo el microscopio. Esta es una sola florecita.
  5. Se ve que mantiene esa forma como de gemelos todavía en el centro de la flor.
Veo que voy a tener que seguir examinando estas flores mientras producen sus semillas. ¿Serán semillas gemelas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger