Sunday, May 26, 2024

Rescue operation

 A week ago, I found the beautiful and invasive perennial cornflowers growing behind the beaver pond, and wrote about it, here. Today, as promised, I went back with a shovel and dug it out, brought it home and planted it safely in a pot, where it can't spread.

I thought, then, that the plant had probably arrived in a load of someone's trash; I was right. The area is rocky, and I had to dig out several good-sized rocks before I could get to the original centre of the clump, but there, I found good, store-bought garden soil, no stones. I dug out all the root fragments I could find, so that it won't just bounce back.

And then tonight, I entertained myself taking photos of one of the flower heads.

View of the outer, sterile flowers, long, thin, 5-lobed.

Central flowers, much smaller; these are fertile.

The support system; an involucre with overlapping, black-fringed bracts.

The complete flower head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hace ocho dias encontré una planta de Centaurea montana, hermosa pero invasiva, atrás de la laguna de los castores, y la describí en un post, aquí. Hoy regresé con una pala, como había prometido, y la excavé, la traje a casa, y la volví a sembrar en una maceta, de donde no podrá escapar.

Pensaba que había llegado a ese sitio, tan lejos de habitaciones humanas, con una carga de basuras caseras. Y eso fue; la planta se había extendido, y el terreno es rocoso; tuve que sacar varias piedras grandes antes de llegar al centro original, y allí todo era tierra comercial para jardines, sin piedras. Desenterré todos los fragmentos de raiz que pude encontrar, para impedir que vuelva a brotar esta planta invasora.

Y esta noche, me distraje sacando fotos de una de las flores.
  1. Unas de las flores marginales; estas son estériles.
  2. Las flores del disco central, mucho más chicas; estas producirán las semillas.
  3. El involucro, el soporte del disco central, compuesto de brácteas superpuestas con bordes dentados.
  4. El capítulo entero.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger