Friday, May 17, 2024

Failed escape

Mountain bluet, (I know, this sounds like one of those oh-so-blue little damselflies, the Boreal bluets I expect to find hovering over the beaver pond I visit, but no, it's a flower, equally blue) aka Perennial cornflower, is growing alongside the road behind the pond.

Centaurea montana.

I was glad to see these, they've always been one of my favourites, but then I got home and discovered that they are on the BC list of invasive species. A garden escapee, a perennial introduced from Europe, it tends to spread both by its seeds and through the roots. Oh.

Another reason to be glad: this back road is one of the sites where people dump their trash, into the creek, into the beaver's back bog, even on the road itself. It's not so much construction materials here, but household discards, the things that should be taken to a recycling depot or even sent to a thrift store. Pots and kettles, old dishes, backpacks and clothing, broken furniture: that sort of stuff.

Recently someone has come in and cleaned up the whole road. Good for them; Ma Nature (and I) appreciate it! I saw only one light fixture that they missed, down in the mud where I've seen beaver tracks.

I think that the Mountain bluet probably arrived with some trash, maybe in a cracked plant pot. But they don't belong here. Next visit, I'll bring a shovel. In a pot beside my window it won't have a chance to spread; I can pick the flowers for my table before they set seed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Centaurea montana, en inglés se llama Mountain bluet, que la hace facilmente confundida con el Caballito del diablo, Boreal bluet, esa libélula miniatura de un azul brillante que en esta temporada espero ver en el aire sobre la laguna de los castores, pero, no, esta "bluet" es una flor, tan azul como el insecto. Las encontré al lado del caminito que pasa detrás de la laguna.

Foto: Centaurea montana.

Me dió gusto ver estas flores; siempre han sido una de mis favoritas. Pero en casa descubrí que están en la lista de especies invasivas de la provincia. Es nativa de Europa, y aquí se ha escapado de los jardines; libre, se promulga tanto por las semillas como por las raices.

Otra cosa que me dió gusto: este camino es uno de los sitios donde la gente sin responsabilidad tira su basura, llenando el riachuelo que sale de la laguna, contaminando el lodazal donde he visto huellas de los castores, y hasta haciendo montones en el mismo camino. Esto no es material de construcción, como en otros sitios, sino desperdicios caseros; sartenes y ollas, platos, mochilas y ropa vieja, muebles rotos y otras cosas por el estilo.

Hace poco alguien ha limpiado todo el sitio. Bien hecho; la Madre Naturaleza (y yo) lo agradecimos.

Se me ocurre que estas flores habrán llegado con los desperdicios, tal vez en una maceta rota. Pero no es sitio apropriado; a la próxima visita, traeré una pala. En una maceta bajo mi ventana, no podrá invadir terreno, y tendré flores año tras año.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger