Sunday, January 22, 2023

Nose to the bark again

I was a kid growing up on the far west coast of this island, back in the days when little of it was logged off. All around us were the dense, green forests. Evergreens: hemlock, Douglas-fir, cedar. On the hill across the channel there was a stand of maple. Mom used to love those when they turned red in the fall; they reminded her of home in Ontario, she said. But we never went over to look at them more closely.

What I knew were the evergreens. I knew the way the cedars drape their branches to leave a dry hideaway underneath. I knew the taste of hemlock branch tips in the spring. I knew the smell of fresh-cut firewood and the spicy aroma of the huge Christmas tree in the hospital lounge. And the mossy silence under the giants. And the way the darkness of the shadows between the trunks beckoned me. Beyond that, not much. My curiosity led me down other paths, had me turning over stones on the beach and diving under the wharf. 

So when, years later, on drier shores, I learned that deciduous trees (like maples, not fruit trees; they were special, right?) produced flowers, I was astounded. I thought flowers were things that grew on the ground or on shrubs, like daisies and thimbleberries. And even now, in the spring when the maples and red alders dangle their catkins and blossoms, I am filled with that same sense of wonder.

And the wonder goes on; the more I look at the trees, the more amazing they become. Hence, looking at bark. How it works, how it changes, how it lasts. And what it looks like on individual trees.

Here are more nose-level tree trunks, these decorated with dust and crust lichens. All of these are in the lawns around the Campbell River museum.

Douglas-fir with green dust. It always looks like old paint.

This is a maple, and there are two lichens; the dry, crusty whitish patches, and a tiny leafy lichen colonizing the cracks in the bark.

I can't identify this tree; not even when it was in leaf. Spruce, maybe? It's painted top to toe with this green lichen.

Maple, with whitish patches. And I liked the extra pattern from the sun peeking through the leaves overhead.

Another Douglas-fir, I think, with just a light dusting of green lichens.

And I've been told to look at other details, the trunk flair, the buds, the cones. So many fractal levels! So I'll go back again soon, and again in the spring, when the leaves start to show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yo era una niña que vivía entre los bosques en la costa del oeste de esta isla, en los años cuando todavía no se habían cortado tanto. Nos rodeaban esos bosques, verdes, tupidos. Siempre verde; eran tsugas (hemlock), cedros, abetos de Douglas. En la cara del cerro al otro lado del estrecho frente a nuestra casa crecía una arboleda de arces; a Mamá le gustaba cuando se volvían rojos en el otoño; le recordaban su casa en Ontario, decía. Pero nunca fuimos a mirarlos más de cerca.

Lo que yo conocía eran los árboles perennes. Sabía como cuelgan las ramas los cedros, dejando un escondite en seco junto al tronco. Conocía el sabor de las ramitas nuevas de tsuga en la primavera. Conocía el olor de leña recién cortada, y el aroma picante del gran árbol de Navidad en la sala de estar del hospital. Y es silencio bajo los gigantes, todos los sonidos del munído exterior apagados por el musgo. Y como la oscuridad entre los troncos me llamaba. Más de eso, no sabía gran cosa. La curiosidad me llevaba por otros caminos, volteando piedras en la playa o buceando debajo del muelle.

Así fue que cuando, años más tarde, en tierras secas, descubrí que los árboles de hoja caduca (no los frutales; ellos eran algo especial ¿no?) producían flores, me quedé atónita.  Hasta entonces, pensaba que las flores eran cosas que crecían en tierra, o en arbustos frutales, como por ejemplo las margaritas y las moras. Y hasta ahora, cuando en la primavera veo las flores y candelillas de los arces y los alisos rojos, me llena un asombro vivo.

Y sigue ese asombro; entre más observo los árboles, tanto más fascinantes son. Y por lo tanto, aquí estoy mirando cortezas, preguntando como es que funciona, como cambia, como perdura. Y como se ve en cada árbol individual.

Aquí subo más troncos vistos a nivel de mis ojos, todos creciendo en los jardines del museo de Campbell River y llevando líquenes de polvo o crustosos.

Fotos:
  1. Abeto de Douglas con liquen de polvo verde. Siempre se ve como si se hubiera tirado pintura.
  2. Un arce, con dos líquenes, uno duro, seco, blanquisco, el otro muy pequeño, folioso, creciendo entre las grietas de la corteza.
  3. No puedo identificar con certeza este árbol. Picea, tal vez. El liquen lo cubre desde arriba hasta abajo.
  4. Arce, con liquen blanquisco. Y me gustó el diseño de sombras formado por el sol entre las hojas.
  5. Otro abeto de Douglas con solo una salpicadura de liquen verde.
Y me han dicho que hay que ver otros detalles, o sea el ángulo de la base del tronco, los botones, las piñas. ¡Tantas capas de detalles que hay! Iré de vuelta pronto a visitarlos, y otra vez en la primavera, cuando empiezan a aparecer las hojas nuevas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger