Saturday, January 21, 2023

At nose height

There are many ways to look at trees. Notice their height, the shade they cast, watch how they move in the wind and change colour as the year progresses. Identify leaf and needle shapes, collect cones and nuts and fruit in season. See how they fuzzify distant mountain sides or dress a river bank. Watch the birds and the squirrels and look for bear hideouts. Find an eagle's nest. So much to do!

Maybe that's why it took me so long to look at what was right in front of my nose. Literally. The trunks. Not just supports for the important stuff 'way overhead, but really what makes a tree a tree.

I started taking photos of just plain tree trunks at nose height. (That's 1.45 m. for me.) Stashed them in a file; who wants to look at brown photos, anyhow? Well, actually, I do. So now I'm burdening you with them, too.

First batch:

The thick, crevassed bark of a Douglas-fir.

Rectangular scales on a maple.

Maple? I can't remember now. On the museum lawn.

Evergreen. I started including an inset with the needles. It helps me remember.

Maple? Hemlock? Here's why I need those insets.

Tomorrow's batch comes adorned with lichens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
¡Hay tantas maneras de mirar a un árbol! Fíjate en su altura, en la sombra que nos otorgan, mira como se mueven con la brisa, como cambian de colores mientras avanza el año. Identifica las formas de hojas y agujas, junta nueces y piñas y frutas. Observa como suavizan las laderas de montañas distantes, como decoran las orillas de los rios. Mira los pájaros y las ardillas y busca dormitorios de osos. Encuentra un nido de águilas. ¡Y más; siempre hay más!

Tal vez sea por eso que me tomó tanto tiempo llegar a ver lo que literalmente estaba en frente de mi nariz. Los troncos. No solo son sostenes para lo importante allá arriba, pero en verdad lo que define un árbol.

Empecé a sacar fotos de troncos de árboles a la altura de mis ojos. (1,45 cm para mi.) Las archivé; ¿quién querrá mirar fotos de madera color café? Bueno, yo, por una. Tal vez alguién más. Así que aquí están.

Fotos:
  1. La corteza gruesa, agrietada de un abeto de Douglas.
  2. Escamas rectangulares en un arce.
  3. ¿Arce? Ya no me acuerdo. Está en el jardín del museo. Tendré que ir a verlo de nuevo.
  4. Un árbol de hoja perenne. Empecé a incluir un recuadro con las hojas. Me ayuda con la memoria.
  5. ¿Arce? ¿Hemlock? Mostrando porque debo sacar la foto de las hojas.
El conjunto de mañana vendrá decorado con líquenes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger