Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Watch the ears

I was bent down, looking at mushrooms on a log, when something made me look up. Not a sound, not movement; something, some nameless awareness of company. And there was a deer, just standing there a few metres away, watching me.

I'm the intruder here.

She stood there. I straightened up. She didn't move at first, then turned her head to get a better look at me. Listened. The only sound was the chatter of the river below us.

Watch her ears.

One ear for me, one for the trail.

We stood there for a long moment. She turned one ear away from me, then after a minute, picked her way gently, slowly among the logs and across the trail, stopping every few steps to look at me again. Then suddenly, she leapt and disappeared among the bushes on the river bank.

I heard nothing, not even her steps. But no sooner had she gone, than a woman came around the bend in the trail, where her ear had been pointing.

Two's company; three's a crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Estaba agachada mirando unos hongos en un tronco, cuando algo me hizo levantar los ojos. No era un sonido; no oi nada, ni hubo movimiento, solo una sensación indefinida de no estar sola. Y allí estaba una cierva, a unos pocos metros. No se movía; nada más se quedó mirándome. Yo me enderecé. Ella no se movió.

Después de un rato, volvió la cabeza para mirarme mejor, y luego regresó a la postura anterior, pero ahora con una oreja vuelta para atrás.

(Observa esas orejas.)

Y ahí nos quedamos por un tiempo. Luego siguió tranquilamente su camino entre los troncos, y cruzó el sendero. Lentamente, volviendo a mirarme entre paso y paso. Y de repente dió un salto y desapareció entre los arbustos a la orilla del rio.

Yo no había oido nada, ni siquiera sus pasos. Pero apenas se había ido, una mujer apareció a la vuelta en el sendero, hacia donde la ciervita había apuntado esa oreja.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger