Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Disappearing hummers

Hummingbirds. So brightly-coloured, all sparkly reds and greens; you'd never think of that as camouflage. But look:

Blends right in, doesn't she? Anna's hummingbird, Calypte anna, female. The males have much more red.

And this one's a male. Away from the red berries, he does stand out a bit.

I took the second photo blind, having seen the hummer fly into the cherry tree, too far away for my old eyes to see him among leaves turning colour. The first one was a lucky shot; I didn't see the bird at all until I blew up my photos.

They will be here all winter; they like urban gardens where people maintain feeders for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Los colibríes. Con esos colores tan brillantes, los rojos y verdes en tonos casi eléctricos; se hace difícil pensar que es una forma de camuflaje. Pero, mira:

Primera foto; Colibrí Anna, Calypte anna, hembra. Los machos tienen cuellos y cabezas rojos.

Segunda foto: el macho, en un cerezo sin frutillas rojas, sí destaca un poco.

Saqué la segunda foto a ciegas; había visto cuando el colibrí había volado hacia el árbol, pero estaba demasiado lejos para que mis ojos viejos lo viera, un puntito rojo entre hojas verdes, amarillas, y anaranjadas. La primera foto fue pura suerte; no ví la pajarita hasta que amplifiqué la foto.

Estos pajaritos se quedarán aquí por el invierno. Les gustan los jardines urbanos, donde la gente mantiene bebederos con néctar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger