Monday, September 13, 2021

Look at the camera, Polly!

I keep trying to get a face shot of my big ragworm, "Polly", with no luck. It's rare that she faces the glass, even when I sneakily put food right in the best location up against the glass. And when she does look my way, she immedidately opens up that big mouth to show me her "tonsils". I want the eyes, all four of them.

So. Side shots, with maybe one eye.

Two fat palps, two small palps, four antennae on each side of the head. The parapodia (the paddle "feet") on each segment have 4 or 5 fat "toes" and two needle-thin hairs.

One eye visible.

She likes eating algae, both red and green. Here she's grabbed an algae-covered blade of eelgrass. She dragged a couple of inches of it down into her burrow.

Looking down her throat.

That stripy chin! Almost looks like she's growing a beard.

I'll keep trying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sigo tratando de sacar una foto de la cara de mi anélido poliqueto, "Polly", sin suerte. Es muy raro que se acerca de frente a la pared del acuario, aun cuando coloco sus alimentos favoritos justo en el sitio más favorable. Y cuando por casualidad se arrima, me abre su boca enorme para enseñar el fondo de su garganta. ¡Quiero ojos, los cuatro ojos!

Pues, aquí hay fotos otra vez de perfil.

  1. Dos palpos gordos, dos pequeños, y cuatro antenas de cada lado de la cabeza. Los parapodia (las "patas" o paletas) en cada segmento tienen 4 o 5 setas gordas (como si fueran dedos) y dos setas agudas.
  2. Aquí se ve un ojo.
  3. Le gusta comer algas, o rojas o verdes. Aquí agarra una hoja de hierba marina Zostera, cubierta de alga. Jaló unos cuatro centímetros de la hoja dentro de su túnel bajo la arena.
  4. Enseñándome la garganta.
  5. ¿Ese cuello! Casi parece que lleva barba.
Seguiré tratando de lograr una foto de frente.


2 comments:

  1. You find so many interesting critters to study. We always learn from your posts. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great try. Better than my best of much easier targets.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger