Sunday, September 12, 2021

A hard nut to crack

 Seen on Stories Beach:

A flock of crows were feeding among the rocks while the tide was out.

But what has that crow in front found?

Whatever it was, he's dropped it. And isn't happy. He's attracted a potential walnut thief.

Did you take it?

He's found it again, and carried it to a larger rock to work on it safely.

I think it's a walnut. I had passed several walnut shells discarded among the rocks nearby.

Can't get inside, can't break it. Pounding it on the rock may work. He hopes.

No. Still closed.

And he picked it up and flew off, closely followed by the hopeful thief. I wonder if he tried to drop it on the rocks, like the gulls do with clams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Observado en la playa Stories, en la zona intramareal. Una bandada de cuervos busca comida entre las rocas y las algas.

Un cuervo ha encontrado algo que parece ser una nuez. Yo había visto varias cáscaras de nuez tiradas cerca de este lugar.

Primero, se le cae entre las rocas, y no se siente tan contento, pero luego la encuentra otra vez y la lleva a una roca más grande para tratar de abrirla. Sin éxito; y la toma en el pico y se va volando, perseguido por el otro, que aparentemente espera poder robársela.

Me pregunto si tratará de dejarla caer sobre las rocas para romperla, como lo hacen las gaviotas con las almejas.


1 comment:

  1. You always get such amazing photographs. We have both crows and seagulls that love to bring tasty morsels and drop them on our condo balcony. I'm always having to clean things up out there. But the great view is worth it when we aren't up the lake at the cabin. We got back in July and has taken me this long to settle down. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger