Saturday, February 27, 2021

Just wondering

The sun was bright, the sky a clear blue. Deceptive! The wind was icy, it blew through my jacket, and I'd forgotten to wear my long johns. I sat on a wet log, shivering; at the top of the beach the riprap and piled logs provided a hint of shelter. From there, I watched three common goldeneyes bounce and dive among the waves.

How is it that these little ones, so small, so lightly clad, barefoot, play so happily and don't freeze, out there in the wind and water?

Common goldeneyes, female.

The males wear formal black and white. And a brilliant yellow eye.

No other birds to be seen; they're all behind the breakwater, out of the wind.

That plastic bottle on the beach: I didn't see it until the return trip, plowing into the wind, head down. I brought it home to recycle it. Another thing to wonder about: why are people so careless?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
El sol brillaba. El cielo lucía un azul limpio. ¡Era una trampa! El viento soplaba fuerte, llevando hielo; se colaba através de mi chamarra, y se me había olvidado ponerme la ropa interior térmica. Me senté en un tronco húmedo en la parte superior de la playa, tiritando; aquí los troncos apilados y las rocas del rompeolas proveían una sugerencia mínima de abrigo. Desde este asiento, observaba a tres porrones osculados (Bucephala clangula) que brincaban y se sumergían en el agua fria.

Me pregunto: ¿Cómo es que estos pajaritos, tan pequeños, apenas cubiertas con unas pocas plumas (menos del grosor de mi chamarra), con los pies desnudos, juegan tan felices, y no se congelan, alllí entre las olas heladas?

Primera foto: una hembra. Segunda: dos machos, estos vestidos muy formal en blanco y negro, pero con ese ojo de amarillo fuerte.

Tercera foto; la playa, el mar, sin otros pájaros; los otros están escondidos, fuera del viento, atrás del rompeolas.

No había visto esa botella de plástico hasta la vuelta de regreso, luchando contraviento, con la cabeza inclinada. Me la traje a casa para ponerla en el bote de reciclaje. Y tengo otra pregunta: ¿porqué hay gente tan descuidada?


1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered the same about people who litter. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger