Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Bzzzzzzz

At least there are bees.

The news is horrific, the virus is spreading, the future seems dim. But at least there are bees.

Bee on daisy

Honeybee on Gold Star
 I've given up, for now, on trying to identify species of local bees, but at least the honeybees are distinctive.

Another bee on Gold Star

These were in the meadow beside Oyster Bay.  Every patch of flowers was busy.

And another.

I can't identify the white drooping flowers behind these Gold Stars. I was lying on the ground in the meadow, so it was a very small plant. I'll have to go back and look for these.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Por lo menos hay abejas.

Las noticias son terribles, el virus sigue aumentando, y el futuro no promete algo mejor.

Pero por lo menos hay abejas.

Estas estaban en el campo al lado de Oyster Bay. Abejas de varias especies en flores de margarita y "Estrella de Oro" (Gold Star, Crocidium multicaule).

3 comments:

  1. That drooper sure looks like an upside down head of yarrow, which would match the leaves, especially the one sticking straight up from the spot where it droops. I've never seen yarrow droop, don't know what might cause it to do so, but it's still my best guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yarrow makes sense, except for the drooping. Maybe it had been damaged somehow. What grows in the meadow is mostly yarrow, gold star, hare's foot clover, wild strawberry, and Queen Anne's lace, with gumweed around the edges. I'll go and take another look today.

      Delete
    2. I went back and found the plant. It was a yarrow, but it had been bent and broken just below the head.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger