Thursday, May 21, 2020

Sun lover

With the first step I took onto the rocks, I disturbed a snake basking in the sunshine. He sped away, into a wild rose patch, but not before I got one photo.

Isn't he beautiful! 

He's the common garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis, probably a male. Males have a smaller head than do females, and a longer tail.

When I sat on the rock to take a photo of the roses, it was almost hot, although the wind was chilly. No wonder the snake was out there!

Wild rose, With a snake hiding, invisible, underneath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apenas pisé las rocas, cuando espanté una linda víbora que se asoleaba allí. Se escapó rápidamente debajo de unas rosas silvestres, pero logré sacar una foto antes de que se desapareciera.

Es una víbora común en estas partes, la culebra de jaretas, probablemente un macho; los machos tienen la cabeza más chica que la de las hembras, y la cola más larga. No son venenosas; se alimentan de ranas y ratones, lombrices de tierra y peces pequeños.

Cuando me senté en la roca para sacar una foto de las rosas, me di cuenta que estaba casi caliente, aunque el viento era helado. ¡Con razón la víbora había escogido ese lugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger