Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Stack of hungry beasties

And in the tank this week:

Crab, snails, snail food.

The big shell is a large leafy hornmouth, Ceratostoma foliatum, old and battered. I don't know what made me bring him home when I found him tossed up well above the tide line, instead of walking him back down to the water. Now I'm busy bringing him large barnacles to keep him fed. He won't eat the little ones; only steak dinners for him!  Here, he's on an old clam shell that still has a half-dozen surviving barnacles.

A couple of black patches are smaller snails, eating algae on the hornmouth's shell. And a channelled nassa, Nassarius fossatus, is thinking of boring through into the juicy hornmouth meat. (He gave up by the next morning; now he's wandering about looking for something not quite so thick.)

On top of the stack, the largest of my green shore crabs, a male close to the maximum size for his species. Always, always, hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger