Thursday, October 24, 2019

Crawlers, jumpers, singers

And going back to the piles of "hold for later" photos: a collection of critters.

In a handful of wet mud: an earthworm and a pretty Spotted Snake millipede, Blaniulus guttulatus.

Cricket, female. The males sing all summer under my kitchen window. The cat brought this one in, freshly killed.

The two spikes at the rear are cerci, sensory organs. The long, split-ended one is her ovipositor, used to lay her eggs.

Weevil, playing dead, as they do. When the photo session ended, he wandered away.

Not a "hold". A small crane fly on my wall this week. Interesting pattern on the wings, similar to that of the hairy-eyed crane fly, but that's an eastern species. I'll send it in to BugGuide.

A tiny jumper.

And a tiny moth.


1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger