Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Spring decor on the dunes

Most of the year, our Douglas firs are dressed in sober greens, dark and mysterious under the grey skies. But come spring, the youngsters deck themselves out in bright yellowy greens and orange paper decorations.

Young Douglas-fir, Oyster Bay dunes. The new buds grow at the tips of every branch, and before they open, they're gift wrapped.

New tips at the top of the tree, with the remains of the papery orange wrapping.

Another tree, another batch of buds, and a beetle just spreading his elytra, preparing to fly away. The wings underneath are transparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger