Monday, December 03, 2018

Orange sponge

If I could dive, I would. Beyond my reach, even at the lowest of low tides, the sea floor is a treasure house of amazing animals and plants. But I'm limited to shallow waters and tide pools.

And then again, there are those high, really high tides. And winter storms. And the waves bring me what I could never reach on my own.

I found another large sponge on the shore at Oyster Bay. This one is the largest I've seen yet, around 9 or 10 inches across, measured by my 7-inch finger span. And it was as yet partially unbleached by sun and sand.

One specimen, white where the light had hit it, orange where it was protected by seaweeds. On the red inner bark of an alder.

I have posted photos of these before, here and here. The larger was 7 inches across, and had been tossed in the sand until it was completely filled. I have it at home now, and after drying and shaking and shaking and banging about, it is still grey with sand. And the bit of orange colour on the underside has completely disappeared.

As far as I can see, it looks like the Orange Finger sponge, Neoesperiopsis rigida. These, according to my guide and a couple of websites, grow to 25 cm. (10 inches) tall. This one is a bit smaller, bottom to top.

I left this one on the shore near where I found it. My hands were already full of plastic pieces I was removing; I'd forgotten to bring a bag. I did bring home a large kelp holdfast, still fresh, for my hermit crabs. They've been working on it ever since, night and day.



1 comment:

  1. When I was in my 20s I learned to scuba dive and had all my own gear. I had the opportunity to dive in California along the coast and at Catalina Island. I even had the chance to take my gear to Ensenada in Baja California to do a boat dive. Swimming through a kelp forest was amazing and seeing a nurse shark exciting. On another trip to Baja I got to see huge manta rays swimming by. Those days are long gone, but it was fun while it lasted. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger