Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Small fry

Young hermit crabs doing what hermits do ...

Small hairy hermit, Pagurus hirsutiusculus, very happy with a brand-new shrimp pellet.

Climbing the eelgrass. He's freshly molted; his carapace is clean and bright. It doesn't take long for algae and gunk (sometimes even baby barnacles) to begin to settle there, turning him to a dungy grey-green.

Small and smaller. Compare the size of the sand grains. The larger of the three is checking out a new shell, but soon decided it wasn't good enough. Wrong shape, wrong weight, wrong taste? Who knows what appeals to a hermit crab?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger