Saturday, March 21, 2009

Water, water everywhere.

On the beach, the water is in front of us, and sometimes underfoot. At New Westminster Quay, it is everywhere. But our feet stay dry.

There's the river, of course:


B&W. Tug and goose.

And each building on the landward side has its own cement-bound pool, where ducks paddle in the reflected light.


Inner "courtyard".


On the lip.


In the back alley, the water is shady and green with algae.


A mallard stirs up the reflections.


"If I can't see you, you can't see me!"


Fountains break up the colours.


Can you find the duck?


Pigeon feathers, circling the drain.


Red buildings make the water at least look warm.


Back by the river, the sun shines, briefly.


Homeward bound.


Water underground, under control.

And it's still too cold for flowers. Crocuses and daffodils, and some first-year witch hazels. That's it. We'll try again in a couple of weeks.

.

4 comments:

  1. Flowers!!! hysterical laughter

    We may have dirt showing on exposed hillsides but nary a patch in our yard .... let alone a crocus popping up! ... and I did plant some last fall too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok..I guess i dont know what his Quay is..
    Are these apartments surrounded by water? lake? river?
    Is it like Venice?
    Do you live here?
    Very cool area..Loved the photos tour..
    the brick colored water...The Duckies and reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew that about Westminster. What an interesting place to live. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen: Don't lose hope; it's spring now, finally. At least according to the calendar.

    Dawn, Margy: I think a NW Quay description post is in order. I'll do that tonight.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger