Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Measuring the earth, one millimetre at a time

Here's another of my midnight visitors. I've never seen an inchworm this tiny before. It was hurrying across my nightstand, a mere thread stretching out, then folding itself in half. I moved a box aside, and it leapt onto my finger.

As thin as a sewing thread.

Racing across my palm.

It's about 4 mm. long.

And here it is, folded.

The inchworms are the larvae of the Geometrid moths; they get their names, both common and scientific, from their walk; it looks as if they're measuring as they go.

Other caterpillars have 5 pairs of rear legs, called prolegs; the Geometrids have 2 or 3. They grab the substrate with their front legs, then bring forward and attach the rear legs. Then they stretch out their front end again, grab and repeat.

This little guy will grow; the moth larvae go through 5 instar stages (growth between molts) and may measure 10 times his present length by the time he's ready to pupate.

I think it may be the Pale Beauty moth, Campaea perlata, common in this area, going by the stripy body pattern. I've loaded it to iNaturalist; someone there will know.

They eat plants, not found in my bedroom. I would have taken him outside, but while I checked the photo on my camera, he found a place to hide. Sorry, little guy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aquí tenemos otro de mis visitantes nocturnos. Nunca antes he visto una de estas orugas geomensoras tan pequeña. Esta se apuraba cruzando mi mesita de noche; se parecía a un hilo de coser que se extendía, luego se doblaba, volviéndose a extender inmediatamente. Arrimé una cajita, y la oruga saltó hacia mi dedo.

    1. Del grosor de un hilo.

    2. Aquí está en la palma de mi mano.

    3. Mide unos 4 mm. de largo.

    4. Aquí se ve como se dobla.

Estas origas medidoras son las larvas de las polillas Geomensoras; se llaman así por su manera de proceder; parece que van midiendo el camino.

Otras orugas tienen 5 parejas de patas traseras, pero las geomensoras tienen solamente 2 o 3. Para caminar, fijan las patas anteriores en el sustrato, luego se doblan, trayendo las patas traseras hasta casi tocar las anteriores. Luego se estiran, avanzando las patas anteriores a la máxima distancia posible, fijándolas de nuevo, para repetir el movimiento.

Esta larva va a crecer; pasan por 5 mudas, al desechar la piel que ya les queda apretada. Al llegar a la hora de formar una pupa, medirá tal vez 10 veces su tamaño actual.

Creo que puede ser la polilla "Bella Pálida",  Campaea perlata, que se encuentra comunmente por aquí; el diseño de su cuerpo se parece a la de esta polilla. Subí las fotos a iNaturalist; alguien allí me podrá informar mejor.

Las larvas comen plantas, y no las iba a encontrar en mi cuarto; la hubiera llevado afuera, pero mientras miraba la foto en la cámara, se fue a esconder. Lo siento, bichito.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger