Wednesday, May 15, 2024

What to do on a chilly day

 Today was grey and windy and cold, with promises of rain. I didn't go out, except to water my cosmos seedlings; I kept myself busy inside taking and processing photos of tiny spiders; four different species.

(Some people, good friends and all, don't appreciate looking at spider pics. Sorry, maybe it would be better to come back tomorrow.)

These three are all under 5 mm. long, body length, fangs to spinnerets.

Tegenaria gigantea; adult length, leg span up to 8 cm.

Unidentified spider, maybe  a crab spider, on the strap of the light I was using instead of the flash.

I couldn't find a match for this one in my books. She has an unusual pattern on her cephalothorax, so I'll send her in to BugGuide for an id.

This one, even tinier, was on the wall under my bedside light. Philodromus dispar female.

I still haven't processed the photos of the cellar spider. And there's a tiny, pretty jumping spider somewhere in here; I've seen her twice, but she never stays put until I get the camera. And just now, in the middle of the night, another is wrapping up her prey outside my door. I think spider season has started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hoy era un dia gris; había un viento frio y parecía que iba a llover. Me quedé en casa, aparte de un momento en que fui a regar los brotes recién salidos de mis cosmos. Y me mantuve ocupada una buena parte del dia sacando fotos de arañitas miniaturas, y procesando las fotos y las de unas arañas de la semana pasada. Aquí hay tres de ellas.

  1. Una Araña Casera Gigante (así va su nombre), Tegenaria gigantea. No más que esta es una arañita bebé; mide, desde los quelíceros hasta las hileras, unos 3 o 4 milímetros.
  2. Esta araña no la pude identificar. Tal vez sea una araña cangrejo. La fotografié sobre la correa de la linterna con que la trataba de iluminar para no usar el flash. Como no la encuentro en ninguno de mis libros, enviaré su foto a BugGuide para una identificación.
  3. Esta es aun más chica. La encontré en la pared bajo mi lámpara de noche. Otra araña cangrejo, Philodromus dispar, hembra.
Sigo sin procesar fotos de una araña fólcida. Y anda por aquí una arañita saltadora muy bonita.La he visto dos veces, pero no esperó a que yo trajera la cámara. Y ahorita, a media noche, otra araña está atando su presa afuera de mi puerta. Parece que la temporada de arañas ha llegado.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger