Tuesday, January 02, 2024

And Part 3: Things that made me happy in 2023

The cat sleeps on the shelf above my computer, a long roll of black fur. From time to time she dangles her tail down in front of my screen and waves it about: a message, "Hey, I'm here, I'm important."

Something to start off my list of things that make me happy in 2024. But first, here's the final installment of the 2023 list.

Moss on old stumps. This one was just a few days ago.

Bull's eye lichen on rocks. Freezing cold, baking hot: they don't care. November, Tyee Spit.

Lazy creeks in dappled sunlight. With rocks. October.

Sunshine highlighting a mass of tossed-up, torn seaweeds. December, Black Creek.

I like explanatory trail signs. This one made me particularly happy. Seen in September.

The sign explains the work being done on the slope above the river and Elk Falls. This had been a paved entrance to the area; now it is being restored as natural habitat. Legend:
  • Step 1: Removal of paved surfaces. 
  • Step 2: ... "Rough and Loose" the soil. 
  • Step 3: Improve future soil quality ... 
  • Step 4: Add trails to provide a safe path for visitors to explore the old-growth forest. 
  • Final phase: Plant over 1700 native plants. (Sword ferns, Vanilla-leaf, Red huckleberry) 
  • For the Future: This restoration will be monitored for years to come. Invasive species (we're looking at you, Himalayan blackberry!) will be removed and supplementary native plants will be planted as needed to maintain healthy growth of this ecosystem.

Distant blue peaks. November, Upper Campbell Lake

An abandoned clamshell on the sand. I like the shaped hinge. December, Black Creek.

And today we had 8 hours and almost 11 whole minutes of daylight, 7 extra minutes since the solstice. That makes me happy, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La gatita duerme en el estante detrás de mi computadora, formando un largo taco cubierto de pelo negro. De vez en cuando deja caer su cola en frente de mi pantalla, agitándola como para decirme — Mírame, estoy aquí, soy importante. — Una cosa para empezar mi lista de cosas que me harán feliz en 2024.

Pero primero, este es el episodio final de "cosas que me hicieron feliz en 2023".

  1. Musgos sobre madera vieja. Esta foto es de apenas hace pocos dias.
  2. Liquen Placopsis sp., creciendo sobre una roca en Tyee Spit. Si se congela, si el sol le quema, no le importa. Noviembre.
  3. Un riachuelo tranquilo con el sol filtrado entre los árboles. Y con rocas. Octubre.
  4. El sol alumbra una masa de hierbas marinas rotas y tumbadas en la playa. Diciembre, Black Creek.
  5. Me gustan los letreros que ponen al lado de caminos en el bosque. Este, en particular, me alegró. Describe la obra que llevan a cabo en la ladera que baja al rio. Esta zona tenía un camino pavimentado; cuando la ví, en septiembre, ya no había pavimiento. El texto dice: Primer paso: quitar el pavimiento. Segundo: Revolver y Aflojar la tierra. Tercero: Mejorar la tierra. Cuarto: Construir senderos seguros para los visitantes que vienen a explorar el bosque viejo. La Fase Final: Sembrar más de 17.000 plantas indígenas. (Helecho de hoja perenne, Hoja de Vainilla, Arándano Rojo) Y En el Futuro: La restoración será supervisado en años venideros. Las especies invasoras (Mora de Himalaya, te vemos) serán eliminadas y nuevas plantas nativas se sembrarán cuando sea necesario para mantener la salud de este ecosistema.
  6. Cerros azules en la distancia. Noviembre, Lago Upper Campbell.
  7. La concha de una almeja, abandonada en la arena. Me gustó la forma de la articulación. Diciembre.
Y hoy, el dia fue de 8 horas con casi 11 minutos, 7 minutos más que los del dia del solsticio. Esto también me alegra.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger