Friday, December 15, 2023

Exploding sparrow

 Really. It seems to have exploded.

Sparrow in a cherry tree.

Here's the story behind this photo.

There's an old cherry tree that I've been watching for a few years. The whole centre of the trunk is rotted out, although the tree still leafs out every year. The rotted portion is dry and crumbly; at the base of large cavities there's always a floor of fine, dry wood dust. I have examined the material, both the solid (sort of) wood and the fine dust, even under a hobby microscope, and have never found any signs of life, no insects or insect eggs or larvae, except for a few strands of dusty spider webs. With no carcasses. This wasn't good hunting ground, even for spiders.

Yesterday, while I sat watching the tree from the far side of the lawn, I saw this sparrow entering the largest cavity. When it came out, this was the result.

Wide view, before I cropped the photo down.

I think (I could be wrong) that the sparrow was using the tree for a dust bath.

More research is needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Un gorrión que, pobrecito, estalló. De veras. Se ha reventado. O así parece.

Foto: el gorrión con las plumas del abdomen totalmente inflado.

La historia tras esta foto: he estado observando un cerezo viejo durante varios años. El centro entero del tronco se ha desbaratado; ahora es pura madera podrida, seca y frágil. El cerezo, sin embargo, sigue con vida y produce hojas cada año.

Se han formado varias cavidades grandes; en ellas, la madera expuesta es de un color café muy claro, bien seca, y se puede romper con una mano. En el suelo de cada de estas cavidades, hay una capa de polvo de madera muy fina. He buscado entre la madera y entre este polvo, buscando insectos o sus huevos o larvas, viéndolo hasta bajo mi microscopio pequeño. Nunca he visto señales de vida, aparte de unos restos de telaraña, pero sin los restos de su presa. No ha sido buen sitio ni siquiera para las arañas.

Ayer otra vez estaba sentada al otro lado del jardín, frente al árbol. Observé mientras un gorrión se metió en la cavidad más grande. Al salir, esto es lo que vi.

Foto: la escena, antes de recortar la foto.

Se me ocurre que tal vez el gorrión usaba el cerezo para darse un baño de polvo.

Se necesitan más investigaciones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger