Thursday, May 11, 2023

Conversations with swallows

 I was on my knees at the end of the dock at Brown's Bay, peering down at a burst of purply feather-duster worms in the water, when I became aware of a series of chirps nearby. I looked up: two barn swallows were sitting on the rail of a boat, discussing me.

"What's that human doing?"

I took a couple of photos and they flew away. I turned back to my worms, then on to the next float to look at anemones. And the sea urchins. There were long strands of kelp, and masses of red algaes; I walked slowly, bent over; at one point I sat down on the planks to get a better view. And then I heard the swallows again. This time, they were on the railing of another boat, just across the narrow dock from me.

"Humans are weird, especially this one."

Then they flew away again. Work to do; bugs to catch.

I did the rounds of all the docks and the buildings on floats; hot work, with no shade and the sunlight glaring off the bleached planks and the water.  But it was quiet; the restaurant is still closed. A couple of men were fishing, and the gas station was open; that was it. Nobody was in their boats; mostly it was just me and the swallows. Now I was watching the flock, swooping and soaring, back and forth from one end of the bay to the other.

Keeping an eye on me.

In previous years, I've found a nest in the eaves of the store; now that I had inspected all the floats, I returned to the store to see if the swallows were still using that spot. They had been; I found the remains of the nest, broken, on the floor. Someone has been removing the nests; I searched around all the buildings, and found nothing more. But there they were, dozens, in the air collecting dinner for their chicks. There had to be nests somewhere!

An itchy spot.

On a floating shed a good ways away from the store/restaurant/lodge complex, I found some; the ramp to the float was raised, and barricaded to boot. Good! There were three nests that I could see, and no-one could get close enough to disturb them. Wonderful!

Back at the parking lot, the car was baking hot; so was I, and sunburned to boot. I left the car open to cool down and went to sit on a bench under a bit of roof, facing the water to watch the swallows. Only a couple of minutes: then swallows started flying over my bench, in and out of the shade, away over the water and back to dive-bomb me. Were they trying to tell me something?

Looks a bit grumpy here.

I looked up; sure enough, in the peak of that little roof, there was a nest. And I was one of those horrible humans who had knocked down the nests. "Sorry, guys," I said, and got out of there. I hope they raise large and happy families.

~~~~~~~~~~
Estaba de rodillas en el extremo del muelle de Brown's Bay, mirando un grupo de gusanos plumero en el agua, cuando me di cuenta de las voces de pájaros muy cerca, al parecer una conversación tranquila. Alcé la vista, y allí estaban dos golondrinas parados en el pasamanos de un barquito. Parecía que se preguntaban que hacía yo allí.

Les saqué unas fotos, ya que tenía la cámara en la mano, y se largaron.

Seguí en mi búsqueda de criaturas debajo de los flotadores; había anémonas y erizos de mar, y largas hojas de quelpo, y masas de algas rojas. Avanzaba despacito, agachada para mirar mejor; en un sitio me senté en las tablas. Y luego escuché las golondrinas de nuevo. Ahora estaban en otro barco, justo enfrente mio. Y seguían la plática acerca de mi locura. Luego se echaron a volar. Había mucho que hacer; moscas para capturar, para llevarlas a las crias.

Les di vuelta a todos los muelles y los edificios flotantes, sacando fotos de lo que veía en el agua; un trabajo algo caluroso, en pleno sol sin sombra alguna, y con la luz rebotando de las tablas blanqueadas y el agua, lisa como un espejo esa tarde. Pero todo estaba en silencio. El restaurante sigue cerrado. Dos hombres pescaban en uno de los muelles, y la gasolinera para barcos estaba abierto, pero no vi a nadie. Por la mayor parte del tiempo, no más era yo y las golondrinas. Y ahora las estaba mirando, mientras iban y volvían haciendo grandes círculos sobre el agua de la bahía.

En años anteriores, he encontrado un nido bajo los aleros de la gasolinera; ahora fui para ver si seguía allí. Y lo encontré; tirado y roto en el suelo. Alguien ha estado "limpiando" los aleros; di vuelta a todos los edificios; ni un solo nido había. Pero eran docenas de golondrinas en esa bandada; ¡tenían que tener nidos!

En un cobertizo flotador bien alejado de los demás, los encontré. El acceso estaba bloqueado, y la rampa alzada; nadie podría acercarse. ¡Todo protegido: qué bien! Y pude ver 3 nidos; habrían más al otro lado.

Ya de regreso en el estacionamiento, el coche estaba hecho un horno. Dejé las puertas abiertas para refrescarlo un poco, y me fui a sentar en una banqueta bajo un techito que me daba sombra. Y de repente, unas golondrinas dejaron su caza de insectos y empezaron a pasar y volver a pasar sobre mi cabeza, como amenazándome. ¿Qué les había hecho yo?

Y miré para arriba; allí bajo las vigas del techito, había otro nido. Y yo era otra de esos humanos horribles que habían tirado sus nidos. "Lo siento, pajaritos, no lo sabía," les dije. Y los dejé en paz. Les deseo lo mejor; familias grandes y felices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger