Thursday, January 12, 2023

Few and far between

It has been a poor year for birds, at least for me. Fewer on the shore, fewer in my yard, fewer in the tops of the trees. Where I used to count eagles on my way home, a 15-minute drive, finding a dozen or more, this year, I count it a good day if I see one. Along the shore, I see the occasional duck, often all alone. Where are the large flocks I see in my photos from other years?

There are always some, though, in the Campbell River estuary. Distant and elusive, but they're there.

Misty estuary with golden-eyes and mergansers and an underwater loon. (Invisible, of course.)

And a friend's backyard, a well-established bird haven, does attract a fair number of LBBs. And these flickers.

Parent and youngster?

This pair was foraging under the trees, mostly out of sight, and finally flew to a very distant chimney, where they looked to me like two small dots. The camera did a fair job on them. I've been trying to decide if they are a parent and a juvenile still begging for his meals.

And while I'm at it, here are two photos of herons: poor photos, but the herons were indulging in a spot of synchronized flying.

Leaving because I took one step too many in their direction.

5 seconds later.

Maybe this new year will be better. I do miss the birds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ha sido un año de pocos pájaros. Pocos en la playa, pocos en el jardín, pocos en las copas de los árboles. Donde antes contaba águilas camino a casa, unos 15 minutos de viaje, llegando a contar una docena o más, este año tengo suerte si veo uno. En el mar, veo un pato solitario o un par de colimbos. ¿A dónde fueron las bandadas grandes que veo en mis fotos de años anteriores?

Por lo menos en el estuario del rio Campbell, siempre hay aves acuáticas, aunque pocas y distantes.

Foto #1: El estuario en la neblina, con porrones y serretas y un colimbo invisible (bajo el agua).

#2: El jardín de una amiga, ya hace años establecida como refugio para pájaros, si ofrece vistazos a pájaritos entre los arbustos. También hay los pájaros carpinteros, Colaptes auratus. Estos dos buscaban hormigas bajo los árboles, y por fin salieron a la vista, volando hacia la chimenea de una casa distante. Para mis ojos, eran solo dos puntos negros, pero la cámara ve mejor. Sigo tratando de decidir si son un adulto con su cría todavía requiriendo ayuda en encontrar comida.

#3 y 4: Ya que estoy mirando fotos no tan buenas, hay estas. Dos garzas azules practicando el vuelo sincronizado. Me acerqué un paso demás; ni modo.

Bueno, tal vez el nuevo año tendrá más pájaros. De veras los extraño.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger