Monday, December 05, 2022

View from the bridge

The Quinsam River is a small river, little more than a creek in places, and about 35 km. long. It winds and loops its way down to meet the Campbell River just upstream of the estuary. The road I was following crossed it on a small bridge about halfway along its length. I found a place to park and walked back.

A quiet, shallow waterway.

A closer look. There's ice along the edges, coated with a thin layer of snow.

As usual, I find once I've come home, that I missed something right in front of me. Do you see it here?

Look at the ice.

Zooming in:

Do you see the tracks? The maker came out of the hole on the left, walked on ice and snow to the hole on the right. And I never saw him!

I'll zoom in some more:

What animal was this?

I can't decide, looking at the tracks, whether he was dragging a tail or not. Was it a beaver? Is there a lodge under that snow load?

This was well out of town, some 4 or 5 kilometres from the closest house, and in prime beaver country; many small streams, little lagoons, lots of red alder for munchies and construction work. But was he dragging a tail or not?

I'll go back in the summer to look for a lodge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
El rio Quinsam es un rio pequeño, apenas un riachuelo en algunos sitios, y dando vueltas y haciendo círculos, baja desde el laguito Quinsam a unirse con el rio Campbell cerca del estuario, unos 35 kilómetros, contando todas las vueltas que hace. El camino que yo seguía cruza el rio más o menos a la mitad de su recorrido. Busqué un sitio para estacionarme y regresé a pie.

Fotos:
  1. Un rio tranquilo, poco hondo.
  2. Visto más de cerca. A las orillas, hay hielo cubierto de un poco de nieve.
  3. Y como de costumbre, llego a casa y me doy cuenta al ver las fotos, de que algo se me escapó. ¿Lo ves? Mira el hielo.
  4. Haciendo zoom. Las huellas salen de una apertura entre la hierba, cruzan hielo y nieve para desaparecer adentro de otra entrada. ¡Y yo, que ni lo vi!
  5. Cortando la foto aun más. ¿Serán huellas de un castor?
No puedo decidir, viendo las huellas, si el animal arrastraba tras sí una cola. Si era un castor, tendría una cola pesada. ¿Habrá una madriguera debajos de la nieve?

Esto está fuera del pueblo, como a unos 4 o 5 km. de la habitación humana más cercana. Y es terreno ideal para los castores, con muchos riachuelos y lagunitas, muchos alisos rojos para comer y para las obras de construcción. Pero, ¿arrastraba la cola? ¿Sí, o no?

Voy a regresar en el verano para buscar la madriguera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger