Monday, November 28, 2022

Chasing snow

Snow, they said. Rain and snow. But neither had showed up around home. I drove north, looking for snow. There was rain, in spots. Some 60 kilometres up, snow showed up on the mountains, but before I could find a clear vantage spot, mist covered them and it started to rain again. I went on as far as Lake Hoomac, 130 km. from home; here there was no snow anywhere, and everything was dim and green. I followed a trail until I found it underwater, turned back and headed home. And the snow caught me, just south of the lake.

Coming down fast. Taken through the windshield. (I was parked.)

It didn't last.

13 minutes later.

And then the rain came down and washed it all away.

But halfway home, I passed an elk standing by the highway. I stopped and turned around, and eased up towards him. Not slow enough; he went back into the forest, and there I saw him join a small herd. They all melted into the dark woods. It was past 5 o'clock, and sunset was before 4:30.

In all this time here, I have seen elk only once before, near Tahsis. So this was a treat.

And then a few minutes later, I saw another one, waiting to cross the road, it seemed. This time I was smarter; stopped the car, turned off the motor and lights. He was still visible in my rear-view mirror. I got the camera ready, and checked again. He was gone. Oh, well. Two elk sightings! And snow! Made my day!

It rained most of the way home. They're promising us snow for Tuesday. We'll see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nieve, dijeron. Iba a nevar. Y llover también. Pero ni lluvia ni nieve se veían por mi casa. Tomé la carretera hacia el norte, buscando la nieve. Sí había lluvia por la carretera, en algunos tramos. Unos 60 kilómetros de casa, se veía nieve en las montañas, pero antes de que encontrara un sitio para estacionarme, bajó la neblina, escondiendo todo, y empezó a llover de nuevo. Seguí adelante hasta el lago Hoomac, a 130 km. de casa. Allí ni señas de nieve había y todo era verde oscuro. Bajé hasta el lago por un sendero, pero tuve que desistir cuando encontré la ruta bajo agua. Hora de regresar a casa. Y la nieve me agarró un poco al sur.

Fotos: Nevando fuerte. Saqué las fotos protegida por el parabrisas. (Y sí, estaba estacionada.) Y la segunda foto, 13 minutos más tarde; ya había cesado de nevar.

Y luego vino la lluvia y lo lavó todo.

Pero. A medio camino de regreso, pasé un alce parado al lado del camino. Me dí vuelta, y me acerqué lentamente. No era suficiente. El alce regresó al bosque, y allí lo ví reunirse con varios otros; todos se perdieron entre el bosque oscuro. Ya era noche, como las 5 de la tarde, y el sol se había puesto media hora antes.

En todo el tiempo aquí solo he visto un alce una vez antes, cerca de Tahsis. Así que esto era como un regalo.

Y unos minutos más tarde, vi otro, también al lado de la carretera. Esta vez tuve más cuidado. Detuve el coche de inmediato, apagué el motor y las luces. Miré en el espejo. El alce seguía allí. Preparé la cámara y miré de nuevo, pero ya se había largado. Ni modo. Pero, ¡Dos observaciones de alces! ¡Y nieve! ¡Un dia buenísimo!

Llovió casi todo el camino de vuelta a casa. Nos prometen nieve para el martes. Ya veremos.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger