Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Rugged old wood

I've been looking at old tree trunks a lot lately. Just the trunks, live or sort of dead, the bark, the ravages of a long life, and the holes made by assorted critters. And some of the critters. Zooming in from a distance, to face to face, to with my nose in a hole and passers-by on the trail looking at me strangely.

Starting off at a decent distance: here are some trees from the slopes over Elk Falls. These are still green at the top.

Douglas fir. The bark develops deep fissures as it ages.

A closer look.

Holding down the slope.

Coming in closer. Lumps and cracks and mossy accents.

Reaching for the light.

Tomorrow; more bark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He estado observando los troncos de árboles viejos en estos dias. Limitándome a los troncos, la corteza vieja, las cicatrices que han dejado los años, las cavidades hechas por una variedad de animales. Y por fin, algunos de esos animalitos. Empecé a una distancia normal, acercándome cada vez más, viendo la corteza cara a cara,  y por fin con la nariz casi metida en los hoyos, y con los que pasaban en el sendero mirándome curiosamente. Ni modo.

Empezando con las fotos sacadas a una distancia normal: unos de los abetos de Douglas antiguos que viven en el bosque arriba de las cataratas Elk.

Mañana sigo con otras cortezas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger