Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Donkey engine sprouts

Last year, in cracks in the dry logs that support the Campbell River museum's ancient donkey engine, I found several orange mushrooms. Passing by this Saturday, I looked for them again. There were none in the site of last year's find, but from a crack on the log on the opposite side, something is pushing its way out.

New stems or old?

These look as if they had been sheared off, just leaving the truncated stems. I didn't crop out the one on the right side, even though it's not in focus; at least it looks as if more of the mushroom is there.

This is the mushroom as I found it last November:

I identified it, tentatively, as the false chanterelle, Hygrophoropis aurantiaca.

I'll check on it again next week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

En noviembre del año pasado, encontré varios hongos anaranjados creciendo en grietas en el tronco que sostiene el antiguo "burro de vapor" del museo de Campbell River. Este sábado, al pasar por el sitio, otra vez examiné los troncos. No había nada en el sitio donde crecían los hongos el año pasado, pero en una grieta en el tronco del otro lado, algo está saliendo.

Primera foto: la grieta, con lo que parece ser tallos truncados del hongo, como si alguien los hubiera cortado. ¿O será que así son de nuevecitos?

Segunda foto: el hongo que encontré el año pasado. Lo identifiqué, con algunas dudas, como uno de los falsos rebezuelos, Hygrophoropis aurantiaca.

Volveré la semana que entra para ver si han crecido.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger