Friday, August 06, 2021

Purple, with spurs

 I don't remember seeing these on the Oyster Bay dunes before: Menzies' larkspur.

Delphinium menziesii

The long spur at the back of the flower is what gives it its English name.

This plant is toxic to livestock and humans, especially the new growth. It can cause a rash on skin contact, which I didn't know. I'm glad I didn't pick any.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No creo que haya visto antes esta planta en las dunas de Oyster Bay. Es la espuela de caballero, Delphinium menziesii. Lo que le da el nombre en español es el espolón en la parte posterior de la flor, que se parece a la espuela en la bota de un vaquero.

La planta entera es tóxica, tanto para los humanos como para el ganado, en especial cuando la planta es nueva. Si hace contacto con la piel humana, puede causar una erupción. Yo no sabía esto; ahora me alegra no haber cortado una que otra rama.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger