Monday, March 22, 2021

A few anemones

The tide was low. And it was still daylight. And it wasn't raining! I had a chance to do a bit of tidepooling. I found these anemones, still wet, still exposing their tentacles.

Bright green colour, stripped tentacles. Burrowing anemone, Anthopleura artemisia.

The big anemone in my tank is one of these, but much paler; sunlight feeds the green algae that these anemones harbour in their tentacles and oral disc. The algae converts sunlight to sugars, feeding both itself and the anemone.

Another burrowing anemone; this one has a bit of orange pigment.

And a few inches away, this peach-coloured anemone is open for business under an inch of water. I'm not sure of the species.

And while I'm at it, here's my plumose anemone, at home in the tank.

"Metty"; Metridium senile, happily reaching out to the light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La marea estaba baja. Y los dias son más largos ahora; todavía había luz. ¡Y no estaba lloviendo! Pude pasar unas horas buscando entre pozas de marea. Encontré estas anémonas, apenas fuera del alcance de las olas, todavía mojadas, todavía con los tentáculos abiertos.

La primera es una anémona de las que llamamos "excavadoras", la Anthopleura artemisia, de un color verde fuerte y con las rayitas blancas en los tentáculos.

La anémona grande que vive en mi acuario es de esta especie, pero está mucho más pálida. Estas anémonas contienen algas verdes, viviendo en sus tentáculos y la superfice alrededor de la boca; estas contienen clorofilo y con la luz del sol producen azúcares que comparten con la anémona. La que vive en mi casa no recibe tanta luz del sol.

La segunda foto es de otra de la misma especie, pero con un poco de pigmento anaranjado.

La tercera es una anémona anaranjada; no sé a cual especie pertenece. Está totalmente abierta, ya que la cubre una pulgada de agua.

Y ya que estoy mirando anémonas, la cuarta foto es de mi anémona emplumada, Metridium senile, en mi tanque.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger