Sunday, January 24, 2021

Snow day

When I went out to do my weekly grocery shopping, before dawn this morning, it was starting to snow. By the time I left the store, it was coming down so fast that once I'd scraped the snow off the car windows, I had to re-do the windshield.

But what with one thing and another, it was after one before I got the camera into the car. And it was starting to rain. I went to Oyster Bay, and the rain had washed all the snow off the trees. Back in town, there was still slushy snow on the streets. I kept on going, and took the highway going west.

It's a steep climb just out of town, and up top, the rain hadn't arrived. I went to Elk Falls; the snow in the parking lot was halfway up to my knees. Yay!

So I went down to look at the forest and the falls and the snow.

The old pipeline cutting, from the trail to Elk Falls.

There will be photos tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuando salí esta madrugada, antes de primera luz, para hacer las compras de la semana, ya empezaba a nevar. De vuelta en el estacionamiento de la tienda, caía tan rápido que limpié todas las ventanas del coche y me encontré con el parabrisas que acababa de limpiar ya bajo otra pulgada de nieve.

Pero entre una cosa y otra, no llegué a salir con la cámara hasta la una. Y ya estaba lloviendo. Ni modo. Me fuí a Oyster Bay, y ya la lluvia había lavado los árboles. Un poco de nieve aguada quedaba en el suelo, nada más. Regresé al pueblo; llovía, y las calles traían una mezcla de lodo y nieve derretida. Seguí adelante, tomando la carretera fuera de la ciudad, rumbo al oeste.

El terreno sube repentinamente desde el nivel del mar, y allá arriba, no había llegado la lluvia. Me fui a las cataratas de Elk Falls, y aún en el estacionamiento, la nieve me llegaba cerca de las rodillas. ¡Maravilloso!

Así que me metí en el bosque y fui a mirar las cataratas y los árboles todo nevados.

Mañana habrá fotos.

La foto de hoy es del lugar donde antes pasaba el antiguo conducto de agua desde la presa, tubos enormes hechos de madera, visto desde el sendero que baja hacia las cataratas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger