Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Successful failure

I wanted to get a photo of the comet, but it's down near the horizon, and the reflected light from the town faded it out. So I drove to the centre of the island, far from any human light sources. Sundown caught me on the shore of Buttle Lake.

Last rays of sunlight on Mount McBride, 2083 m.

This was at 9:26 PM. But from this vantage point, the mountains were too high to see anything, even if it were pitch dark. The comet would be behind Mount McBride.

View towards the top of the lake. 9:27.

Dusk lasts forever in the island summer. I returned to a viewpoint over Upper Campbell Lake. The sky was still orange.

I came back to Campbell River and joined a group of comet watchers on Tyee Spit. By 11:30, the stars were out, but down where the comet lurks, a sort of haze faded them out. Before midnight, most of us had given up and gone home. No comet.

But it was a nice evening drive, and I saw three young deer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quería ver el cometa y tal vez lograr una foto, pero aquí la luz de la ciudad la escondía. Decidí buscar un lugar lejos de luces artificiales.

A la hora de la puesta del sol, a las nueve veintitantos, me encontré en el centro de la isla, a las orillas del lago Buttle.

La primera foto es del monte McBride. La cometa estaría directamente atrás de la montaña. Y de todas maneras, el cielo seguía iluminada.

El crepúsculo, aquí en el norte, dura y dura. Por horas.

Regresé a un lugar al lado de Upper Campbell Lake; allí las montañas no cortan la vista, pero el cielo seguía de color anaranjado.

A las once y medio me hallé otra vez en la ciudad, en la peninsulita Tyee Spit, con un grupo de otros buscadores de la cometa. Sí, se veían las estrellas directamente arriba, pero allá donde se debe ver la cometa, una neblina la ocultaba. Antes de la medianoche, la mayoría nos habíamos dado por vencidos. A casa. Sin cometa.

Pero el paseo al atardecer fue lindo. Y vi tres venaditos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger